Being transparent and providing accessible information to individuals about how we use personal information is a key element of the Data Protection Act and the General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679).
The information being processed
The Council, on behalf of the Tamar Estuaries Consultative Forum (TECF), is collecting email addresses for the purpose of updating recipients on details relating to TECF activities and the Plymouth Sound and Tamar Estuaries Marine Protected Area (MPA).
The way this information is used will depend upon the options you selected when subscribing to the mailing list.
If you selected to receive the quarterly newsletter: this information will be used to send the quarterly TECF newsletters.
If you selected to receive other updates: this information will be used to send updates that we deem relevant to your interest in TECF and the Plymouth Sound & Tamar Estuaries MPA.
We will never share your information with Third Parties for marketing purposes, or any other reason, without your prior consent.
We will only keep your information for as long as we continue to circulate the content you have subscribed for, unless you unsubscribe from either, or both, mailing lists, at which point your information will be deleted.
Purpose of Processing Personal information
The Data Protection Act 2018 and the EU General Data Protection Regulation ensure that we comply with a series of data protection principles. These principles are there to protect you and they make sure that we:
- Process all personal information lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner.
- Collect personal information for a specified, explicit and legitimate purpose.
- Ensure that the personal information processed is adequate, relevant and limited to the purposes for which it was collected.
- Ensure the personal information is accurate and up to date.
- Keep your personal information for no longer than is necessary for the purpose(s) for which it was collected.
- Keep your personal information securely using appropriate technical or organisational measures.
You have certain rights under the Data Protection Act and the EU General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), these are:
- The right to be informed via Privacy Notices such as this.
- The right of access to any personal information the council or TECF holds about yourself.
- The right of rectification, we must correct inaccurate or incomplete data within one month.
- The right to erasure. You have the right to have your personal data erased and to prevent processing unless we have a legal obligation to process your personal information.
- The right to restrict processing. You have the right to suppress processing. We can retain just enough information about you to ensure that the restriction is respected in future.
- The right to data portability. We can provide you with your personal data in a structured, commonly used, machine readable form when asked.
- The right to object. You can object to your personal data being used for profiling, direct marketing or research purposes.
- You have rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling, to reduce the risk that a potentially damaging decision is taken without human intervention.
During your contact with the council and TECF you will be informed of how your information will be used and shared with other services or organisations.
We will usually seek your consent prior to processing or sharing your information. If you object you must inform the council, however, if there is a legal reason, as outlined under the Data Protection Act, we may not require your consent, for example:
- To protect a child, a vulnerable adult, or member of the public
- Where the disclosure is necessary for the purposes of the prevention and/or detection of crime.
- Required by court or law
We may disclose information when necessary to prevent risk of harm to an individual.
Details of transfers to third country and safeguards
Your personal and sensitive data will only be stored and processed in accordance with the GDPR guidance.
Plymouth City Council is registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office (registration number: Z7262171).
Contact details for TECF’s data controller are:
TECF Coordinator, Natural Infrastructure Team, Plymouth City Council, Ballard House, West Hoe Road, Plymouth Pl1 3BJ.